International travel

Do I need to take any vaccines?

On the website of the National System of Information on Ports, Airports, and Borders (Sispafra) of Anvisa, you can obtain information about the vaccines required for entry into the destination country, as well as identify the nearest vaccination location to your residence. 

The International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis (ICVP) is the official document that proves immunization and is issued at the Health Guidance Centers for Travelers (COSV) of Anvisa, apart from accredited units throughout the country. To obtain the ICVP, visit a COSV and present your National Vaccination Card and an official identification document with a photo.

What should I do if I get sick during the flight?

If you become ill on the aircraft, inform the cabin crew, who will take the necessary steps and alert the health services at your destination. 

On flights lasting more than four hours, prolonged immobility increases the risk of venous thrombosis. Therefore, try to exercise every two or three hours. If you are at high risk for this condition, remember to consult a doctor.

What precautions do I need to take after arriving at my destination?

Always be aware about the safety and quality of what you eat or offer to children to avoid health problems associated with contaminated food or water. 

Some bird and mammal species can also transmit infectious diseases, even in urban areas. Therefore, avoid close contact with live or dead birds. 

If you are attacked by domestic or wild mammals, immediately wash the affected area with soap and water and seek medical attention.

New influenza viruses circulate every year. That's why vaccination is annual. Eating well, adopting healthy and hygienic habits, and avoiding stress are the most effective forms of prevention.

After returning from your trip, if you experience fever or other symptoms such as diarrhea, skin problems, or respiratory issues, seek immediate medical attention and inform the healthcare provider about the regions you visited.

What precautions should I take before traveling abroad?

It is important to be aware of the health precautions that need to be taken in advance. Consult your doctor for an evaluation, especially if you have any pre-existing medical conditions. 

Avoid traveling while you have any acute infectious illness. If you need to take medication during the trip, obtain a prescription from your doctor and carry it with you. Remember to have an adequate supply of medication for the entire trip.

What documents are required for boarding on an international trip?

For Brazilians, a valid national passport is required. For trips to Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia, Chile, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, and Venezuela, the Civil Identity Card (RG), issued by the State or Federal District Public Security Departments, is also accepted as a travel document. You can also consult the National Civil Aviation Agency (ANAC).

What are the rules for international travel with children?

The rules for boarding children and adolescents up to 17 years old vary depending on the circumstances – whether they are traveling with their parents or legal guardians, accompanied by only one parent, with an adult over 18 authorized by the parents, or unaccompanied. In all cases, a valid Brazilian passport must be presented. For Brazilian children traveling abroad unaccompanied or accompanied by only one parent, a legal authorization is required. Contact the airline for more information. 

You can also consult the National Civil Aviation Agency (ANAC)

What if the authorization is issued outside the country?

In cases where authorizations are issued abroad, you should follow the guidelines of the respective Brazilian consular offices, following the template available on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.

What are the documents required for boarding foreign nationals on international flights?

For boarding in Brazil, a valid passport is required. Citizens of Mercosur countries can also use their Civil Identity Card (RG). Please consult the National Civil Aviation Agency (ANAC) for more information.